Two women and baby escape from blaze

PUBLISHED: 17:38 06 November 2008 | UPDATED: 13:43 06 May 2010

Two women and a baby managed to escape unhurt from a fire at their London Colney flat. The blaze, which broke out just before 3am this morning (Thursday), almost went undetected because the ground floor flat had not been fitted with a smoke alarm. Neighb

Two women and a baby managed to escape unhurt from a fire at their London Colney flat.

The blaze, which broke out just before 3am this morning (Thursday), almost went undetected because the ground floor flat had not been fitted with a smoke alarm.

Neighbours called St Albans fire service when they smelt smoke and three fire engines answered the 999 call. The firefighters, all of whom used special breathing apparatus, spent just over an hour extinguishing the fire and ventilating the room with pressure fans.

Residents in neighbouring flats were also evacuated as a precautionary measure. The cause of the fire was accidental.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser