Two-day closure to test fire alarms at Verulam School, St Albans, following this week's blaze
VERULAM School will be closed for the rest of the week while technicians check the fire alarm system following reports that it failed to sound after a major blaze broke out yesterday (Tuesday). The fire was spotted at the Brampton Road, St Albans, school
VERULAM School will be closed for the rest of the week while technicians check the fire alarm system following reports that it failed to sound after a major blaze broke out yesterday (Tuesday).
The fire was spotted at the Brampton Road, St Albans, school at about 11.30am. Following the fire, pupils have contacted the Herts Advertiser claiming that the alarms were not set off in the incident.
The fire service went into the school today (Wednesday) to check the system but it will be closed tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday for more inspections to be carried out.
Verulam head teacher Paul Ramsey said: "The fire service inspected the system today and carried out two successful evacuations. Following that it was decided that the school should be closed on Thursday and Friday to allow technicians complete access to the alarm system without disruption to the school and the pupils."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "We're sorry if this causes any inconvenience but the safety of the pupils is our paramount concern. We look forward to welcoming everybody back at school on Monday."
Two teenagers have been charged with arson following the fire and an earlier one on Monday.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
- 10 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End