Twenty-four-year-old becomes youngest member of St Albans district council
- Credit: Archant
A 24-year-old Albanian has become the youngest member of the district council after winning a by-election last week.
Lib Dem Ellie Hudspith, 24, who has lived in the city nearly all her life and went to Beaumont School, won the vacancy in Clarence ward following the resignation of fellow Lib Dem Sam Rowlands.
It makes the policy and research officer for CAMRA in Hatfield Road, the youngest St Albans councillor after winning the seat with nearly 60% of the vote on a 3.1% swing from the Conservatives
She said: “It’s an honour to have been elected to be councillor for Clarence ward in this by-election. It was great to meet so many local residents on the campaign trail, many of whom were impressed by our record of action in the area.
“Now elected, I will work closely with my Lib Dem colleagues Cllr Chris White and Cllr Gerard McHale to stand up for Clarence Park and bring an end to parking chaos locally. I also hope my election will inspire more young people to consider getting more involved in local politics and decision making.”
You may also want to watch:
Lib Dem group leader, Cllr Chris White, added: “I am delighted to welcome Ellie to the team. She has been an excellent candidate and I am sure she will be an excellent councillor.”
The composition of the council remains Conservatives, 31,?Lib Dems, 16,?Labour, seven, Green, one, and Independent, two.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 5 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 6 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy