Tributes to St Albans theatrical stalwart who dies at 103
- Credit: Photo supplied
The family of a St Albans theatrical group doyenne have paid tribute to her after she died at the age of 103.
Brenda Swinson, an active member of the Company of Ten for six decades, died on Thursday, September 19.
Paying tribute to his hard-working mum, Peter Swinson said she was highly regarded in the community.
Brenda and her husband Cyril Swinson co-founded the Company of Ten with other residents. It is St Albans’ oldest and most prestigious theatrical group.
The Swinson family moved to Abbey Mill House in 1952, where they set up the group’s own theatre in a converted barn.
You may also want to watch:
Cyril wrote and was Pageant Master of the 1948 and 1953 Pageants, with Brenda performing as warrior queen Boudicca in the latter show.
Brenda was a magistrate from 1960 until she eventually retired from the bench in 1980.
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 8 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 9 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 10 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
She also worked at the St Albans Cathedral shop.
A memorial service for Brenda will be held at St Michael’s church in St Albans on October 9 at 2pm, followed by a reception at the Old Albanians clubhouse, 160 Harpenden Road. To confirm your attendance at either the memorial or the reception, please phone Peter on 01727 830468.