Tributes to St Albans theatrical stalwart who dies at 103
- Credit: Photo supplied
The family of a St Albans theatrical group doyenne have paid tribute to her after she died at the age of 103.
Brenda Swinson, an active member of the Company of Ten for six decades, died on Thursday, September 19.
Paying tribute to his hard-working mum, Peter Swinson said she was highly regarded in the community.
Brenda and her husband Cyril Swinson co-founded the Company of Ten with other residents. It is St Albans’ oldest and most prestigious theatrical group.
The Swinson family moved to Abbey Mill House in 1952, where they set up the group’s own theatre in a converted barn.
Cyril wrote and was Pageant Master of the 1948 and 1953 Pageants, with Brenda performing as warrior queen Boudicca in the latter show.
Brenda was a magistrate from 1960 until she eventually retired from the bench in 1980.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 8 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 9 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 10 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
She also worked at the St Albans Cathedral shop.
A memorial service for Brenda will be held at St Michael’s church in St Albans on October 9 at 2pm, followed by a reception at the Old Albanians clubhouse, 160 Harpenden Road. To confirm your attendance at either the memorial or the reception, please phone Peter on 01727 830468.