Tributes to St Albans theatrical stalwart who dies at 103
- Credit: Photo supplied
The family of a St Albans theatrical group doyenne have paid tribute to her after she died at the age of 103.
Brenda Swinson, an active member of the Company of Ten for six decades, died on Thursday, September 19.
Paying tribute to his hard-working mum, Peter Swinson said she was highly regarded in the community.
Brenda and her husband Cyril Swinson co-founded the Company of Ten with other residents. It is St Albans’ oldest and most prestigious theatrical group.
The Swinson family moved to Abbey Mill House in 1952, where they set up the group’s own theatre in a converted barn.
You may also want to watch:
Cyril wrote and was Pageant Master of the 1948 and 1953 Pageants, with Brenda performing as warrior queen Boudicca in the latter show.
Brenda was a magistrate from 1960 until she eventually retired from the bench in 1980.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to
She also worked at the St Albans Cathedral shop.
A memorial service for Brenda will be held at St Michael’s church in St Albans on October 9 at 2pm, followed by a reception at the Old Albanians clubhouse, 160 Harpenden Road. To confirm your attendance at either the memorial or the reception, please phone Peter on 01727 830468.