Triathlete doubling up for Grove House
DEPUTY director of fundraising and marketing for newly-merged Grove House and Iain Rennie Hospice at Home, Paul Parrish, has set himself his most audacious challenge yet to raise funds for the new local charity.
On June 11, Paul will become one of only a handful of people to attempt a Double Ironman distance Triathlon. It will comprise of a 4.8 mile swim (approximately 320 lengths of a standard swimming pool), followed immediately by a 230-mile cycle ride and once that is finished he will then attempt to run 52 miles – a double marathon!
It has to be completed with no rest time between disciplines; a triathlon at the very extremes of human endurance.
Having raised over �12,000 already for Grove House through triathlon challenges, Paul is clear about why he would like to attempt such a gruelling challenge. “For me the “Double” symbolises the merging of two great organisations. I want this to be my way of marking my commitment to the joint vision of the new hospice.”
Paul is by no means confident about completing the task. “I can’t be certain I will complete this. Anything could happen over the course of the 32-35 hours I expect it to take to complete. I am told that I will want to give up several times, that I will cry on more than one occasion, but that I will also feel great elation too.
You may also want to watch:
“Well, I’d like to think I can show our people just how important I think this wonderful hospice service is. I see what we do at Iain Rennie Grove House Hospice Care every day, and it inspires me to make this grand gesture because it is so worthwhile.
“At some point on past challenges I have felt like jacking it in but then I think of our patients and that motivates me to keep going. I am proud of Grove House, and I say to everyone reading this, be proud too of this amazing place on your doorstep that you have all helped support and build. The loving care we give is how the world should really be.”
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
If you would like to support Paul on his incredible venture then log on to his sponsorship website at www.just-giving.com/paul-parrish and make a donation.
Alternatively cheques can be sent made payable to Grove House to Grove House, Waverley Road, St Albans AL3 5QX. Paul is only a few pounds away from raising �3,000 so far and would dearly like to achieve that figure.