Travellers ordered to leave Wheathampstead playing field
- Credit: Archant
Residents have reacted with concern after travellers pitched up on a Wheathampstead playing field.
About 20 caravans, 4x4s and other vehicles parked on a field south of Old School Drive on Friday, June 22.
Sarah Myers – whose home overlooks the field – told the Herts Ad that since the travellers broke in, police had been out to check on them and there had also been a visit from a representative of St Albans district council.
“It’s been quite noisy, and there’s nowhere for them to put their rubbish or litter,” she said.
“It’s a nice playing field. People walk their dogs here and children play there.”
You may also want to watch:
Christine Field, who lives in Butterfield Road next to Old School Drive, said: “I look after the field for the parish council - it’s right outside my back gate. There’s fly-tipping and human excrement. I can’t take the dog out because it’s all over the path.
“They used bolt cutters to get in. They’re just absolutely causing havoc.”
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
A spokeswoman for Herts Police said: “Officers have attended the scene and will continue to do so to make regular checks at the site. They have also been liaising with local residents.”
The field is used for games by Wheathampstead Wanderers FC, but goals were removed at the end of the football season.
A Herts county council spokesperson said: “We were alerted to a traveller encampment off Old School Drive in Wheathampstead on Saturday June 23. Officers attended the site immediately and carried out a welfare assessment to determine if there was any reason why the travellers could not be moved on.
“Following this assessment, we issued a direction to leave within 24 hours which has not been adhered to. We attended again this morning and have now served a summons which will go through the court process this Wednesday. We are working closely with local police to monitor the situation.”