Travellers parked up in St Albans’ Verulamium Park
- Credit: Archant
A group of travellers have parked up in St Albans’ Verulamium Park.
Eight caravans, a caravanette, and a number of cars are now camped on the green space between Westminster Lodge leisure centre and Verulamium lake.
They moved onto the land on Monday afternoon, and St Albans district council is aware and has been assessing the situation.
District Cllr for Verulam ward, Edgar Hill, commented: “I know that the council got on hand down there very quickly, almost instantaneously.
“Legal processes have been put in place and the travellers have been saying they will be vacating on Friday anyway - but obviously as a precaution the council are going through all the normal processes.”
You may also want to watch:
He said it is the second time travellers have parked in his ward while he has been a councillor, and he will be pursuing what preventative steps can be taken for the future - such as height barriers.
The latest invasion comes after a number of traveller camps have been set up around the district over the past few months - including on Colney Heath’s Roestock Lane in June and on Harpenden Common in August. What do you think? Let us know at email@example.com
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans