Travellers parked up in St Albans’ Verulamium Park
- Credit: Archant
A group of travellers have parked up in St Albans’ Verulamium Park.
Eight caravans, a caravanette, and a number of cars are now camped on the green space between Westminster Lodge leisure centre and Verulamium lake.
They moved onto the land on Monday afternoon, and St Albans district council is aware and has been assessing the situation.
District Cllr for Verulam ward, Edgar Hill, commented: “I know that the council got on hand down there very quickly, almost instantaneously.
“Legal processes have been put in place and the travellers have been saying they will be vacating on Friday anyway - but obviously as a precaution the council are going through all the normal processes.”
You may also want to watch:
He said it is the second time travellers have parked in his ward while he has been a councillor, and he will be pursuing what preventative steps can be taken for the future - such as height barriers.
The latest invasion comes after a number of traveller camps have been set up around the district over the past few months - including on Colney Heath’s Roestock Lane in June and on Harpenden Common in August. What do you think? Let us know at email@example.com
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 7 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans