Train derailment causing disruption to rail services on Great Northern line
- Credit: Archant
A train has derailed at Hitchin causing major disruptions this morning.
The freight train derailed at low speed just north of Hitchin station, and trains are currently being disrupted.
It is anticipated that disruption will continue until 12.30pm.
The following temporary amendments are in place: Cambridge to Brighton services will not run; Cambridge to London Kings Cross services will not run; London Kings Cross to Kings Lynn services will only run between Cambridge and Kings Lynn; Hitchin will have a reduced service towards London.
Late notice alteration outside of these arrangements may occur as and when required. Please regularly check your journey before making your way to the station.
You may also want to watch:
You can use your ticket regardless of any restriction on the following services at no extra cost:
Rail: Thameslink via all routes; Greater Anglia between Cambridge, Ely and London Liverpool Street; CrossCountry between Peterborough, Ely and Cambridge; LNER between Peterborough and London Kings Cross; East Midlands Railway between Peterborough and Ely; London Underground across central London.
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 5 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 6 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 9 Remembering Heartwood Forest supporter Pam
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
If you're travelling from Brighton towards London, you can use your ticket with Gatwick Express into London Victoria, changing for tube services to either London Bridge or London Blackfriars.
Arriva Buses: 98 between Hitchin and Baldock; 97 between Hitchin and Letchworth; 55 between Stevenage and Letchworth; 100/301 between Stevenage and Luton.