Train derailment causing disruption to rail services on Great Northern line
- Credit: Archant
A train has derailed at Hitchin causing major disruptions this morning.
The freight train derailed at low speed just north of Hitchin station, and trains are currently being disrupted.
It is anticipated that disruption will continue until 12.30pm.
The following temporary amendments are in place: Cambridge to Brighton services will not run; Cambridge to London Kings Cross services will not run; London Kings Cross to Kings Lynn services will only run between Cambridge and Kings Lynn; Hitchin will have a reduced service towards London.
Late notice alteration outside of these arrangements may occur as and when required. Please regularly check your journey before making your way to the station.
You may also want to watch:
You can use your ticket regardless of any restriction on the following services at no extra cost:
Rail: Thameslink via all routes; Greater Anglia between Cambridge, Ely and London Liverpool Street; CrossCountry between Peterborough, Ely and Cambridge; LNER between Peterborough and London Kings Cross; East Midlands Railway between Peterborough and Ely; London Underground across central London.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
If you're travelling from Brighton towards London, you can use your ticket with Gatwick Express into London Victoria, changing for tube services to either London Bridge or London Blackfriars.
Arriva Buses: 98 between Hitchin and Baldock; 97 between Hitchin and Letchworth; 55 between Stevenage and Letchworth; 100/301 between Stevenage and Luton.