Train derailment causing disruption to rail services on Great Northern line
- Credit: Archant
A train has derailed at Hitchin causing major disruptions this morning.
The freight train derailed at low speed just north of Hitchin station, and trains are currently being disrupted.
It is anticipated that disruption will continue until 12.30pm.
The following temporary amendments are in place: Cambridge to Brighton services will not run; Cambridge to London Kings Cross services will not run; London Kings Cross to Kings Lynn services will only run between Cambridge and Kings Lynn; Hitchin will have a reduced service towards London.
Late notice alteration outside of these arrangements may occur as and when required. Please regularly check your journey before making your way to the station.
You can use your ticket regardless of any restriction on the following services at no extra cost:
Rail: Thameslink via all routes; Greater Anglia between Cambridge, Ely and London Liverpool Street; CrossCountry between Peterborough, Ely and Cambridge; LNER between Peterborough and London Kings Cross; East Midlands Railway between Peterborough and Ely; London Underground across central London.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time
If you're travelling from Brighton towards London, you can use your ticket with Gatwick Express into London Victoria, changing for tube services to either London Bridge or London Blackfriars.
Arriva Buses: 98 between Hitchin and Baldock; 97 between Hitchin and Letchworth; 55 between Stevenage and Letchworth; 100/301 between Stevenage and Luton.