Person dies after being hit by train near Hertfordshire
- Credit: Will Durrant
A person has died after being hit by a train on the Buckingham-Hertfordshire border.
British Transport Police confirmed that a person died following an incident at around 6pm this evening (Thursday, April 28).
Lines were blocked between Watford Junction and Bletchley, with disruption at stations in Hertfordshire and north London, including London Euston.
A British Transport Police spokesperson said: "Officers were called to Cheddington station at 6pm following reports of a casualty on the tracks.
"Paramedics also attended, but sadly, a person was pronounced dead at the scene.
"This incident is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner."
London Northwestern Railway and Avanti West Coast passengers faced rail cancellations, but trains are able to run again.
- 1 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 2 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 3 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
- 4 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 5 Cash stolen from parked car on Harpenden Road in St Albans
- 6 Medals, fast times and great performances for St Albans swimmers at championships
- 7 Police ‘concerned’ as 25-year-old goes missing from Stevenage
- 8 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 9 What's the future Queen doing in a sandpit in Hertfordshire?
- 10 FULL RESULTS: Lib Dem landslide in St Albans council elections
A National Rail spokesperson previously said: "Some lines have reopened between Watford Junction and Milton Keynes Central following the earlier incident where a person was hit by a train."
A London Northwestern Railway spokesperson previously said: "Due to the emergency services dealing with an incident near the railway between Watford Junction and Bletchley all lines are blocked."
London Northwestern Railways tickets were accepted on:
- Avanti West Coast trains via any reasonable route,
- Chiltern Railways between London Marylebone and Birmingham Moor Street,
- CrossCountry between Birmingham New Street and Nuneaton or Tamworth,
- East Midlands Railway between Crewe and Derby, and between London St Pancras International and Derby,
- London Overground between London Euston and Watford Junction,
- Thameslink between London St Pancras International and Bedford,
- West Midlands Railway between Nuneaton or Coventry and Leamington Spa,
- Arriva Buses route 500 between Tring, Berkhamsted, Hemel Hempstead, Apsley, Kings Langley and Watford.
Avanti West Coast tickets were accepted on:
- Chiltern Railways routes between London and Birmingham,
- London North Eastern Railway routes between King's Cross and Edinburgh,
- Northern between Stoke-on-Trent and Manchester Piccadilly or Crewe,
- East Midlands Railway between London St Pancras International and Derby.
If you are affected by this incident and would like mental health help and support, you can call the NHS on 111 and press option 2 for the 24/7 first response service. Alternatively, contact a Samaritan on 116 123 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join our Hertfordshire Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest traffic news in Hertfordshire.
Do you have a live or breaking news story from across Hertfordshire? Email: email@example.com