Recap: Four in hospital and M1 closed after serious two-vehicle crash
- Credit: National Highways
Four people were taken to hospital after a two-vehicle crash on the M1 at Luton.
The M1 northbound was shut at around 3am yesterday (Tuesday, May 3) from junction 10 at Luton Airport to junction 11 for Dunstable following the crash.
There were tailbacks on the motorway between the A414 at junction 8 (Hemel Hempstead) and junction 10.
The road reopened at around 1.45am today (Wednesday, May 4) after emergency resurfacing work, according to National Highways.
The Essex and Herts Air Ambulance and multiple East of England Ambulance Service paramedics responded to the incident.
An East of England Amublance Service spokesperson said: "We were called to a road traffic collision on the northbound M1 near Luton just after 3am.
"We sent multiple resources, including four ambulances, three vehicles from the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART), response cars from the East Anglian Air Ambulance and the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance and the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Emergency Critical Care Scheme.
- 1 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 2 Cash stolen from parked car on Harpenden Road in St Albans
- 3 Revealed: The Hertfordshire hotspots named among Phil Spencer's best London commuter towns
- 4 Van and tools stolen by balaclava-clad men in St Albans
- 5 Men of Fields
- 6 Queen’s baton to pass Hertfordshire ahead of Commonwealth Games 2022
- 7 Labour vanishes from St Albans council but Green's Simon re-elected again
- 8 FULL RESULTS: Lib Dem landslide in St Albans council elections
- 9 What next for district Tories after devastating election defeat?
- 10 Dementia Action Week: inspirational art going on display across St Albans
"One patient was transported to St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington, London, and three were conveyed to the Luton and Dunstable Hospital.
"Two further patients were assessed at the scene and did not require transportation to hospital."
Bedfordshire Police officers were on the scene.
A police spokesperson said: "Officers were called just after 3am this morning (Tuesday) to reports of a road traffic collision involving two vehicles.
"Four people have been taken to hospital with serious injuries."
The spokesperson said anybody with information about the incident should call 101, quoting Operation Dagger.
A National Highways statement read: "The M1 in Bedfordshire is closed northbound between J10 to J11 (near Luton) due to a multi-vehicle collision.
"Emergency services, including National Highways Traffic Officers, are in attendance."
For the most up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Hertfordshire traffic map.
Join our Hertfordshire Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest traffic news in Hertfordshire.
Do you have a live or breaking news story from across Hertfordshire? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org