Top score for Scrabble fan Eva as she reaches 100
A SCRABBLE enthusiast praised by her daughter for her “sheer determination” has celebrated her 100th birthday with family and friends in St Albans.
Eva Sheriff, of Strathmore Lodge, turned 100 on Tuesday, November 29.
Daughter Anne Trussler, of Harpenden, said that Eva tucked into her favourite pickled onions and crisps at her centenary celebration, an occasion shared with her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and friends.
She added that her mum must have tough genes, as when Eva was born prematurely in Tooting, south London, it was assumed she would not survive into her teens. Eva proved the doomsayers wrong though and attended a trade school where she learned about dressmaking. She worked as a cloth cutter for a sports clothing manufacturer in London.
Anne said: “Mum can’t believe she is turning 100 as she doesn’t feel as if she is 100 years old. She is in very good health.”
You may also want to watch:
Eva used to attend get-fit classes, and until recently enjoyed the theatre, travelling on the tube at the age of 90.
She also went to evening classes to learn about literature and psychology, as she is extremely well read and will quote a poem while playing Scrabble, prompted by words in the board game.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
Anne credits her mum’s love of life, being physically and mentally active and having many interests for her longevity.