Thumbs aloft for Harpenden hitchhike challenge across Europe
- Credit: Archant
Two plucky pals from Harpenden are hoping to thumb a ride around Europe in an effort to raise £1,000 for a mental health charity.
Alex Geraghty and George Bailey are planning to hitchhike their way across Europe and back home within seven days.
The former Sir John Lawes students, both 20, are embarking on the trek next month in aid of YoungMinds, a charity that supports young people suffering with mental health problems.
Alex said: “It is very daunting but an exciting prospect. We felt that given the cause we wanted to do something that is going to be difficult.”
Last year Alex was diagnosed with depression and social anxiety and had to postpone his university studies, so the issue is particularly close to his heart.
“I have been very lucky in a sense that I was able to go to the Priory Hospital where I received some treatment. I realise not everyone is able to do that,” he explained. “I feel like I have a duty to try to help other people who are in a similar place to me. It is a very lonely place to be.”
The pair will be documenting their journey, which will take them from Oslo in Norway, through to Sweden, onto Germany and then finally into France, by keeping a blog and making a video diary.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 3 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 6 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 7 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 8 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
- 9 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
- 10 Hospices announce plans to join forces
The fundrasier added: “I’ve not really travelled around Europe so I’m looking forward to seeing different countries and meeting new people along the way.”
To donate visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/weonlydealinthepound.