Thumbs aloft for Harpenden hitchhike challenge across Europe
- Credit: Archant
Two plucky pals from Harpenden are hoping to thumb a ride around Europe in an effort to raise £1,000 for a mental health charity.
Alex Geraghty and George Bailey are planning to hitchhike their way across Europe and back home within seven days.
The former Sir John Lawes students, both 20, are embarking on the trek next month in aid of YoungMinds, a charity that supports young people suffering with mental health problems.
Alex said: “It is very daunting but an exciting prospect. We felt that given the cause we wanted to do something that is going to be difficult.”
Last year Alex was diagnosed with depression and social anxiety and had to postpone his university studies, so the issue is particularly close to his heart.
“I have been very lucky in a sense that I was able to go to the Priory Hospital where I received some treatment. I realise not everyone is able to do that,” he explained. “I feel like I have a duty to try to help other people who are in a similar place to me. It is a very lonely place to be.”
The pair will be documenting their journey, which will take them from Oslo in Norway, through to Sweden, onto Germany and then finally into France, by keeping a blog and making a video diary.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time
The fundrasier added: “I’ve not really travelled around Europe so I’m looking forward to seeing different countries and meeting new people along the way.”
To donate visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/weonlydealinthepound.