Three youths held after weekend clash
THREE youths were arrested at the weekend following a brawl which is thought to have been between two large teenage gangs. About 20 youths were involved in the clash which happened at the bottom of Holywell Hill in St Albans at around 5.20pm on Saturday.
THREE youths were arrested at the weekend following a brawl which is thought to have been between two large teenage gangs.
About 20 youths were involved in the clash which happened at the bottom of Holywell Hill in St Albans at around 5.20pm on Saturday.
Numerous police officers were called to the scene next to Westminster Lodge leisure centre, along with the force's helicopter.
Two St Albans youths were arrested in the nearby Centrium complex in Griffiths Way - a 17-year-old on suspicion of possessing an offensive weapon and a 14-year-old also on suspicion of affray.
You may also want to watch:
A 15-year-old was later arrested on the Abbey Flyer train at Park Street Station on suspicion of possessing a firearm without a certificate. All three have been bailed until the end of next month.
A worker at the nearby Westminster Lodge said staff saw the police talking to about 12 teenage boys lined up against the metal railings outside the leisure centre.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 7 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 10 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
He said members of the public coming into the centre were of the impression that the incident had been an organised fight which was thwarted by the police.
The worker said: "What I heard was that two gangs were going to have it out with each other but got caught."
A police spokesperson said it was an isolated incident and confirmed that inquiries were ongoing.
The fight followed a large scale police presence in the same spot at the same time the previous evening, which is thought to be related.