Three people arrested after woman in her 80s falls victim to purse dipping
- Credit: Archant
Three people have been arrested in connection with theft in St Albans.
On October 16, a woman in her 80s had her purse stolen from her handbag near the Card Factory checkouts.
A 21-year-old woman, a 25-year-old woman and a 36-year-old man have been arrested on suspicion of theft.
The three from Edmonton in London have been released under investigation while enquiries continue.
Insp Jon Roche said: “We are working hard to target thieves who travel into our city and prey on vulnerable shoppers. Officers are carrying out covert and overt patrols to identify suspects and make arrests.
“There is some simple crime prevention advice that you can follow to help reduce the chances of becoming a victim. Please keep your bag on you at all times, keep it securely closed and where possible use a bag that can be zipped shut. Be aware of people distracting you or brushing past you and report any suspicious activity to police.”
Anyone with information about a crime should contact 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. If a crime is in progress call 999.
- 1 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 7 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 10 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins