Three people arrested after woman in her 80s falls victim to purse dipping
- Credit: Archant
Three people have been arrested in connection with theft in St Albans.
On October 16, a woman in her 80s had her purse stolen from her handbag near the Card Factory checkouts.
A 21-year-old woman, a 25-year-old woman and a 36-year-old man have been arrested on suspicion of theft.
The three from Edmonton in London have been released under investigation while enquiries continue.
Insp Jon Roche said: “We are working hard to target thieves who travel into our city and prey on vulnerable shoppers. Officers are carrying out covert and overt patrols to identify suspects and make arrests.
You may also want to watch:
“There is some simple crime prevention advice that you can follow to help reduce the chances of becoming a victim. Please keep your bag on you at all times, keep it securely closed and where possible use a bag that can be zipped shut. Be aware of people distracting you or brushing past you and report any suspicious activity to police.”
Anyone with information about a crime should contact 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. If a crime is in progress call 999.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 7 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 8 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor