Third time lucky for Harpenden day centre re-development?
NEIGHBOURS of a derelict former day centre are hoping that a new planning application to develop it will be successful at the third attempt.
The application to redevelop James Marshall House in Leyton Road, Harpenden, which is next door to the newly-named Harpenden Seniors Club, has been submitted to St Albans council.
The plan is to build 14 flats and a replacement day care centre for the Harpenden Seniors Club which has seen its membership drop in recent years because of the uncertainty about the adjoining development.
James Marshall House was vacated in 2001 and has since become derelict and vandalised.
A fire in 2008 caused considerable damage to the building and it now has to be guarded 24 hours a day to prevent any further damage.
You may also want to watch:
The last application from Oakbridge Homes and the county council for 14 two-bedroom flats and a self-contained office was refused by district council planners in March this year as too large and out of keeping with its surroundings.
The Harpenden Seniors Club, which was set up in 1976 and has been run entirely by volunteers since it opened, is particularly keen to see the issue of planning permission resolved so that it gets the new building it has been promised.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 3 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
Ken Jenkins, chairman of the club, said: “The planning application is now in and we are hoping it will be third time lucky.”