Thieves using master key to steal cars in St Albans, police warn
- Credit: Archant
Criminals are using a master key to steal certain types of vehicle around St Albans and Harpenden, police believe.
Herts police officers have noticed a pattern among car thefts - a number of Ford Transits and Ford Fiestas have recently been stolen in the local area.
For example, Ford Transits were taken from Abbey Avenue between 10am on February 6 and 6am on February 7 and from Downedge between 7.30pm on January 24 and 4.30am on January 25.
A red Ford Fiesta was stolen from The Ridgeway between 7.55pm and 9.55pm on January 29 and a black Ford Fiesta was taken from Charmouth Road on January 29.
St Albans district Det Insp Alex Warwick said: “We will be working with the manufacturers locally, but I’d encourage owners to buy a steering lock to help reduce the chance of their vehicle being stolen. If possible, park your car in a garage or in a well-lit area.”
She urged everyone to report any suspicious incidents on 101 or call 999 if a crime is in progress.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 9 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area