Theives take drainage covers from Harpenden streets
DRAINAGE and manhole covers from across Harpenden were stolen overnight.
A member of the public first reported the missing drainage covers along Cold Harbour Lane early this morning.
More than 10 covers were missing from the road posing danger for traffic and anybody wishing to park there.
Herts Highways were alerted of the incident and made them safe but one passer by, out walking with his son, said it was still quite dangerous.
He was told by a Highways worker that the covers weigh about 14kg and cost about �15 each but if the thieves wished to sell them on, they would need to break them into smaller pieces to avoid being caught.
You may also want to watch:
Missing drainage covers were also reported on Common Lane, Porters Hill and Tallents Crescent.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 'Witty, dramatic and rewarding' Skylight set for Abbey Theatre in St Albans