Theives take drainage covers from Harpenden streets
DRAINAGE and manhole covers from across Harpenden were stolen overnight.
A member of the public first reported the missing drainage covers along Cold Harbour Lane early this morning.
More than 10 covers were missing from the road posing danger for traffic and anybody wishing to park there.
Herts Highways were alerted of the incident and made them safe but one passer by, out walking with his son, said it was still quite dangerous.
He was told by a Highways worker that the covers weigh about 14kg and cost about �15 each but if the thieves wished to sell them on, they would need to break them into smaller pieces to avoid being caught.
You may also want to watch:
Missing drainage covers were also reported on Common Lane, Porters Hill and Tallents Crescent.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters