Is this ‘the worst pothole in Hertfordshire’?
- Credit: Picture: STEPHEN HARVEY
A pothole in St Albans which has been called ‘the worst in Hertfordshire’ is set to be fixed next week, three months after residents say they reported it.
The hole, on The Ridgeway, has been upsetting residents since January, and they have reported it to Herts Highways three times since.
One of them, David Britten, said: “Every time a lorry or a car goes over it it sounds like a gun going off.”
Road closed signs were erected around the hole last Wednesday, however after they were removed, the hole was still there.
Kevin Carrol, Ringway Divisional Manager, which carries out highway maintenance on behalf of Herts County Council, said: “All potholes reported to us are assessed. We can confirm following recent reports concerning the condition of the road surface, The Ridgeway in St Albans was inspected.
“The inspection did identify an area for repair that meets the County Council’s guidelines for repair within 20 working days, so works here have been scheduled for next week.
“The guidelines we work to ensure repairs are focussed on the most dangerous defects as a priority. The criteria for an urgent pothole repair is more than 50mm deep and over 300mm in diameter.
“We require support from residents to flag concerns with deteriorating road conditions by reporting them here: www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/highwayfaults”
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 5 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 6 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 9 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 10 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep