St Albans ukelele and brass bands unite for charity
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans ukelele band teamed up with a brass band in a joint concert to raise money for a disability charity.
Ukelele band The Pluckwits and St Albans City Brass Band performed in the 'Brass and Ukes' concert at Marshalswick Baptist Free Church on Saturday, June 8.
The music performed included songs by Beyoncé, Elvis and a medley from West Side Story, with instruments ranging from tubas to boomwhackers (colourful plastic tubes which can be used for percussion).
Vicky Arlidge, founder of The Pluckwits, said: "It was fantastic bringing together these two musical genres that are not normally combined! Our joint numbers went down really well with the audience, with plenty of singing and swaying along!
"Hopefully it will be the start of an ongoing and totally unique collaboration."
The concert raised more than £540 for the Digswell Place Group Riding for Disabled Association.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 6 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 7 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 8 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 9 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 10 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford