The Bishop of St Albans says farewell
THE Bishop of St Albans, the Rt Rev Christopher Herbert, said an emotional farewell to hundreds of guests at his Abbey retirement service on Saturday. The Bishop, aged 64, has led the St Albans diocese for 13 years and was one of the few diocesan bishops
THE Bishop of St Albans, the Rt Rev Christopher Herbert, said an emotional farewell to hundreds of guests at his Abbey retirement service on Saturday.
The Bishop, aged 64, has led the St Albans diocese for 13 years and was one of the few diocesan bishops appointed from outside the ranks of the suffragan bishops. At the service he reflected on his first days at the Abbey and commended the colleagues and friends who had helped him settle in the position.
He told the congregation: "While there is a sense of relief at being able to lay down the burdens of office, the sense of loss is immense."
Among the congregation were the Lord Lieutenants of Herts and Beds, the Mayors of St Albans and Harpenden; and MP for St Albans Anne Main. To mark his departure, the Cathedral Trust presented the Bishop, a great art lover, and his wife, Jan, with a sculpture of The Madonna and Child.
You may also want to watch:
The Rt Rev Christopher Foster, Bishop of Hertford, paid tribute to his good friend and colleague: "What we shall miss the most is the warmth of your personality, the care and gentleness of your conversation, the beauty of your words, the clarity of your mind and the passion of your heart.
- 1 St Albans support Asian women through lockdown struggles
- 2 Drive-in cinema, comedy and music coming to Hertfordshire Showground
- 3 Council tax to rise in county after 'extraordinary' year
- 4 Residents' misery after disruption on former Butterfly World site
- 5 New community hub set to become a reality at last
- 6 CCTV appeal after £100,000 worth of vehicles destroyed in arson attack
- 7 Call for 20mph speed limits across district wins council support
- 8 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 9 Work set to begin on new Clarence Park playground
- 10 St Albans named among UK's million-pound property hotspots