April Fool: Community calls for volunteers to empty the Verulamium Park lake
- Credit: Archant
St Albans residents and friends of the park have organised an event to empty Verulamium Lake for a spring clean.
“The Big Empty” is a call for volunteers to help to clear out all of the water in order to make room for fresh supplies and allow for a good scrubbing of the base of the lake. Participants will meet on the bridge in the park at midday on Monday, April 1.
Organiser, Jeremy Lemon, 46, of Fishpool Street said: “The ongoing problems with the cleanliness of the lake have been a source of controversy, with many criticising the lake management systems.
“We feel that this - the first of many planned initiatives to help improve the water throughout April - is a fair, economical and reasonable way of tackling the problem.”
Derek Fraserhill, 73, of Cottonmill Lane said: “My wife Mavis and I will be heading down there with a mug, a large colander and an old sick bowl, because surely every little helps and a colander is better than nothing.”
You may also want to watch:
However, a local church has agreed to provide buckets for those who do not have one.
A dog walker at Verulamium Park told the Herts Advertiser: “I think it is a brilliant idea. I think the locals will take to it like a duck to water.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
* April Fool! Sorry if we caught you out!