April Fool: Community calls for volunteers to empty the Verulamium Park lake
- Credit: Archant
St Albans residents and friends of the park have organised an event to empty Verulamium Lake for a spring clean.
“The Big Empty” is a call for volunteers to help to clear out all of the water in order to make room for fresh supplies and allow for a good scrubbing of the base of the lake. Participants will meet on the bridge in the park at midday on Monday, April 1.
Organiser, Jeremy Lemon, 46, of Fishpool Street said: “The ongoing problems with the cleanliness of the lake have been a source of controversy, with many criticising the lake management systems.
“We feel that this - the first of many planned initiatives to help improve the water throughout April - is a fair, economical and reasonable way of tackling the problem.”
Derek Fraserhill, 73, of Cottonmill Lane said: “My wife Mavis and I will be heading down there with a mug, a large colander and an old sick bowl, because surely every little helps and a colander is better than nothing.”
You may also want to watch:
However, a local church has agreed to provide buckets for those who do not have one.
A dog walker at Verulamium Park told the Herts Advertiser: “I think it is a brilliant idea. I think the locals will take to it like a duck to water.”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 9 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 10 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'
* April Fool! Sorry if we caught you out!