Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- Credit: Govia Thameslink
Rail operator Thameslink is supporting Harpenden's community COVID vaccination campaign by making space available for free at the station's car park for drivers giving lifts to the elderly and vulnerable arriving for their jabs, as well as for volunteers and staff.
Station car parks are mostly empty due to government lockdown advice to stay at home where possible. They are also often well situated in the heart of their communities.
The Harpenden Trust is supporting Harpenden’s three GP practices – Davenport House, the Elms Medical Practice and the Village Surgery – to deliver the vaccination programme at The Harpenden Public Halls, a five minute walk from the train station.
Some 600 local volunteers have already come forward to manage the administrative and marshalling activities.
Thameslink managing director Tom Moran said: “Our teams have been working throughout this pandemic to support our local communities, and keep services clean, safe and operating. I’m delighted that we can now provide practical support to this crucial mass vaccination effort.”
You may also want to watch:
Richard Nichols, chairman of Harpenden Trust, said: “By supporting our GPs and the NHS in this critical activity, Thameslink is helping us to get more people vaccinated, more swiftly, to allow the nation to get back to work – and ultimately back on our trains!”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 8 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 9 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans