Tesco Confirms Woolworths Purchase
TESCO has confirmed today (17) that it will be opening a new supermarket in St Albans city centre. The supermarket giant has exchanged contracts to purchase the empty Woolworths store on St Peter s Street and will open a new Tesco Metro at the site by ear
TESCO has confirmed today (17) that it will be opening a new supermarket in St Albans city centre.
The supermarket giant has exchanged contracts to purchase the empty Woolworths store on St Peter's Street and will open a new Tesco Metro at the site by early summer next year.
Tesco spokesperson Carole Lesley confirmed that the existing Tesco Metro on St Peter's Street - measuring 5,000 square metres - would close down and be replaced by the new store, which has double the floor space at10,000 square metres.
She added: "It is still early days yet but I can confirm that Tesco will certainly be taking over the old Woolworths store. The new Metro store, which will be twice the size of the old one, will create many employment opportunities for St Albans."
You may also want to watch:
She was unable to comment on the future of the Tesco scheme for a superstore on the former Eversheds printing works in London Road which was turned down by district council planners last year.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land