Tesco Confirms Woolworths Purchase
TESCO has confirmed today (17) that it will be opening a new supermarket in St Albans city centre. The supermarket giant has exchanged contracts to purchase the empty Woolworths store on St Peter s Street and will open a new Tesco Metro at the site by ear
TESCO has confirmed today (17) that it will be opening a new supermarket in St Albans city centre.
The supermarket giant has exchanged contracts to purchase the empty Woolworths store on St Peter's Street and will open a new Tesco Metro at the site by early summer next year.
Tesco spokesperson Carole Lesley confirmed that the existing Tesco Metro on St Peter's Street - measuring 5,000 square metres - would close down and be replaced by the new store, which has double the floor space at10,000 square metres.
She added: "It is still early days yet but I can confirm that Tesco will certainly be taking over the old Woolworths store. The new Metro store, which will be twice the size of the old one, will create many employment opportunities for St Albans."
She was unable to comment on the future of the Tesco scheme for a superstore on the former Eversheds printing works in London Road which was turned down by district council planners last year.
- 1 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 5 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 6 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 9 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 10 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan