Rough sleeper sets up tent outside St Albans district council offices
- Credit: Archant
A man is sleeping rough outside St Albans district council offices after erecting a tent next to the entrance.
The camp is outside the Civic Centre, next to the Alban Arena, and just down the road from night shelter Open Door.
Although our reporter approached him for a comment on his motivations for pitching up there, he declined to answer her questions.
This is just one of many tents which have appeared across the city in recent weeks, including another in Lamb Alley, near Rymans.
It is not known whether these people are sleeping rough out of choice, or have actually been made homeless.
You may also want to watch:
Karen Dragovic, head of housing at St Albans district council, said: “The council’s homelessness team is aware of everyone sleeping rough in the district and ensures offers of help and accommodation are made to all those who need it.
“We work with our partners to provide a dedicated outreach service to ensure anyone sleeping rough, who doesn’t already have somewhere to live, and who engages with local services, gets the help they need.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 6 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears