Teens, 13 and 15, charged with attempted burglary of Harpenden shop
- Credit: Archant
Two teens appeared in court on Wednesday (5) charged with attempted burglary after they were caught acting suspiciously outside a wine shop.
A 15 year old and 13 year old were arrested after police, accompanied by a police dog, were called to the Wine Rack on High Street, Harpenden, in the early hours of July 3.
Officers quickly detained the pair and found them in possession of black bags, gloves and pants. They were arrested for the offence of going equipped to commit theft.
Police dog Oz searched then the local vicinity with his handler and picked up a scent which led to a screwdriver under a van.
The teenagers were later arrested for attempted burglary after damage to the front door of the Wine Rack was found.
You may also want to watch:
a 15-year-old boy from Borehamwood pleaded guilty to attempted burglary at St Albans Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday (5) and was made subject to a youth rehabilitation order.
On July 22, a 13-year-old boy from Borehamwood pleaded guilty to attempted burglary at St Albans Magistrates’ Court. He has been referred to West Hertfordshire youth offender panel.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Sergeant Vicky Stoughton from the BCH Dog Unit said: “Oz and his handler should be proud of the role they played in this incident. Oz’s excellent sense of smell led to seizure of the screwdriver that may have otherwise been missed. This in turn led to the arrest and successful charge of the boys for attempted burglary.”
You can keep up with the latest news about the ‘partners on four paws’ here.