Teen booze crackdown in Shenley
YOUTHS hanging around a village store have been accused of intimidating residents with their drunken behaviour. Most of the youngsters are only aged between 13 and 15 so are too young to buy alcohol from Tesco Express in Andrew Close, Shenley but are alle
YOUTHS hanging around a village store have been accused of intimidating residents with their drunken behaviour.
Most of the youngsters are only aged between 13 and 15 so are too young to buy alcohol from Tesco Express in Andrew Close, Shenley but are allegedly sending older youths in to buy it for them.
Shenley Parish Council clerk John Marks said: "There is no suggestion that Tesco is selling it to them but they are getting hold of it somehow.
"I think a lot of the problem is boredom and I know our neighbourhood policeman is very keen on soft-pedalling on this problem. He has managed to befriend some of the youths and is trying very hard to gain their cooperation rather than punishing them."
There have been no incidents of violence so far but residents have complained that they have been intimidated by the lads.
Pc Tom Hardy, who is a member of the community policing team, said: "We patrol this area regularly and I know who all of these youths are personally. I am keen to get some of them signed up to Antisocial Behaviour Agreements as a means of getting them off the streets. Obviously if these agreements do not work then we have to move on to getting ASBOs in place. But I don't want to go down that road if we can find a way of working together."
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 3 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 4 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 5 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 8 The Midwich Cuckoos: Keeley Hawes on Sky's gripping new drama adapted from John Wyndham’s sci-fi novel
- 9 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 10 Call for Government to review district housing targets
He said patrols had been stepped up around Andrew Close to try and reassure residents.