Teen arrested and charged following two bookmaker robberies in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
A teenager has been arrested and charged following a string of robberies, including two at a St Albans bookmakers in two weeks.
A 17-year-old boy from London was charged with six counts of robbery yesterday (19) after he allegedly robbed four bookies in Swindon, St Albans, Flitwick and Dunstable.
The first St Albans incident occurred on Friday October 2 at Ladbrokes on St Peter’s Street and the second two weeks later, on Friday October 16.
Questions have been raised over the safety of staff at the bookmakers due to the lack of ‘bandit screen’, and failure to install one following the first incident.
A spokesperson for Ladbrokes said: “We can confirm two offences occurred in the St Peter’s St branch within a short period of time, however we cannot discuss the security measures in place.
“We continue to assist police with their enquiries.”
The other robberies occurred on September 16 and October 16 at a Ladbrokes in Swindon, on October 6 at a Ladbrokes in Flitwick, and at a William Hill in Dunstable on October 13.
- 1 Trains between St Albans and Luton cancelled due to fire
- 2 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 3 Man threatened officers with 'bomb' at police station
- 4 Motorbike strikes barrier on North Orbital Road near St Albans
- 5 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 6 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 7 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 8 'Summer holiday blues? Why I'm gloating about being child-free'
- 9 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 10 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
The 17-year-old appeared at Hatfield Magistrates’ Court this morning (20).
A 16-year-old boy from London has also been arrested in connection with the robberies in St Albans, and released on Police bail until November 20.
A 26-year-old man from Welwyn Garden City was arrested on October 5 with the October 1 incident in St Albans, and remains on police bail until November 14.