Teen arrested and charged following two bookmaker robberies in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
A teenager has been arrested and charged following a string of robberies, including two at a St Albans bookmakers in two weeks.
A 17-year-old boy from London was charged with six counts of robbery yesterday (19) after he allegedly robbed four bookies in Swindon, St Albans, Flitwick and Dunstable.
The first St Albans incident occurred on Friday October 2 at Ladbrokes on St Peter’s Street and the second two weeks later, on Friday October 16.
Questions have been raised over the safety of staff at the bookmakers due to the lack of ‘bandit screen’, and failure to install one following the first incident.
A spokesperson for Ladbrokes said: “We can confirm two offences occurred in the St Peter’s St branch within a short period of time, however we cannot discuss the security measures in place.
You may also want to watch:
“We continue to assist police with their enquiries.”
The other robberies occurred on September 16 and October 16 at a Ladbrokes in Swindon, on October 6 at a Ladbrokes in Flitwick, and at a William Hill in Dunstable on October 13.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
The 17-year-old appeared at Hatfield Magistrates’ Court this morning (20).
A 16-year-old boy from London has also been arrested in connection with the robberies in St Albans, and released on Police bail until November 20.
A 26-year-old man from Welwyn Garden City was arrested on October 5 with the October 1 incident in St Albans, and remains on police bail until November 14.