Technology brings independence for St Albans Grove House patients
GROVE House supports patients to use up-to-date technology and so remain independent longer.
One such is John Turner of St Albans who comes to the hospice one day a week to help him cope with the effects of with his Motor Neurone Disease. At other times a Grove House volunteer, Jane Folwell, visits John at home to help him use his voice operated lap-top computer.
John explained: “This technology has been a life saver for me and Jane’s visits have helped me to remain self sufficient. She is a star. Using the voice activated lap-top enables me to keep up with current affairs as I can read the newspapers and find out what is going on in the world.
“I have a son in Bahrain so it’s wonderful to able to Skype him regularly and know what he is doing.”
Jane, who volunteers for the Grove House at Home service, has been helping at the hospice for a little over a year. She said: “I visit John on a weekly basis, my days are flexible, we sit and chat and I really enjoy our conversations. It’s great seeing him make such brilliant use of his lap-top computer.”
You may also want to watch:
The Grove House at Home Service offers befriending, complementary therapy and home sitting to those who are homebound through illness. Not only can this benefit the patient, but very often the family and carers as well. The service is offered Monday to Sunday between 8am and 8pm.
If you feel you or your family could benefit from a home visit from a Grove House volunteeer, call Susie Calverley on 01727 731011 or visit www.grove-house.org.uk
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 7 Shortages crisis hits district
- 8 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 9 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book