Teachers give St Albans pupils a taste of their own medicine
IT was all change in the classrooms at a St Albans secondary school for a day last week when students and teachers swapped roles. Instead of putting up their hands and doing classwork, students at Francis Bacon School in Drakes Drive taught lessons, carri
IT was all change in the classrooms at a St Albans secondary school for a day last week when students and teachers swapped roles.
Instead of putting up their hands and doing classwork, students at Francis Bacon School in Drakes Drive taught lessons, carried out break and lunchtime staff duties, took morning assembly and worked in the canteen, reception, library and alongside the site team.
It was the first time that Francis Bacon has taken part in the 11 Million Takeover Day, organised by the Children's Commissioner for England, Sir Al Aynsley-Green to encourage organisations across England to open their doors to children and young people so they can see for themselves the processes behind the decisions which affect their daily lives.
The event was organised by the Student Voice Council and the school saw it as an opportunity for both the teaching staff and the students to learn from each other.
You may also want to watch:
Shara Khatun from Year Nine commented: "In my opinion Takeover Day is a fun and exciting opportunity for students to take the place of their favourite teachers. It is also a good chance for pupils to learn how much time and effort is put into planning lessons.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 7 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 8 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor