Tea light warning after St Albans fire

FIREFIGHTERS have urged residents to be cautious this Christmas when using candles, after attending a fire believed to have been caused by tea lights last night.

Crews from St Albans Fire Station were called to the building on Verulam Road after automatic fire alarms alerted those inside to a fire at around 8.15pm.

The fire, which had been smouldering for some time in the chapel area of the building, had not fully developed but is thought to have been started by tea lights which had been left unattended.

A spokesperson for St Albans Fire Station said it was important that people were aware of the dangers of using tea lights and candles, particularly around combustible material like Christmas decorations.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter