Tea light warning after St Albans fire

PUBLISHED: 12:03 05 December 2011

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

FIREFIGHTERS have urged residents to be cautious this Christmas when using candles, after attending a fire believed to have been caused by tea lights last night.

Crews from St Albans Fire Station were called to the building on Verulam Road after automatic fire alarms alerted those inside to a fire at around 8.15pm.

The fire, which had been smouldering for some time in the chapel area of the building, had not fully developed but is thought to have been started by tea lights which had been left unattended.

A spokesperson for St Albans Fire Station said it was important that people were aware of the dangers of using tea lights and candles, particularly around combustible material like Christmas decorations.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser