Swanky St Albans shops get celebrity visitor
CELEBRITY designers dropped into a host of St Albans shops as part of a TV show which came the city last week.
Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen was one of the interior designers pounding the streets as part of the ITV show House Gift in which three experts have four hours and varying budgets to find the perfect item to rejuvenate a home and give some inspiration into its owners, who then choose just one of the gifts to keep.
The first stop for the extravagant designer, who shot to fame in the show Changing Rooms, was the Rug Gallery in Verulam Road which has been in St Albans since 1989.
The visit came as a complete shock to joint owners Julian Blair and Richard Mathias, although they said they are used to celebrity’s dropping in from time to time.
Richard said: “He came in our showroom and was bowled over by it. He found some fantastic things that he said he had never seen the likes of in London.”
You may also want to watch:
Laurence also stopped up at newly-opened boutique Chloe James Lifestyle in High Street and spent a further hour-and-a-half interviewing owners Donna Nichol and Maria Allen and filming in their gift room, upstairs interiors room and fashion area.
Donna said: “It was great to have such a renowned designer in the shop, and for him to be so complementary about us is a real boost considering we had only been open seven to eight weeks at the time.”
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 Green light given to new hospital project
- 3 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
Although taken by many of the items, Laurence returned to the Rug Gallery to buy a �950 hand-made Nepalese rug woven with silk from the Rug Gallery
The programme featuring St Albans is expected to air in November.