Suspicious man on Holyrood Crescent, St Albans, is legitimate, according to police
- Credit: Archant
A man who had been knocking on doors along Holyrood Crescent in St Albans and arousing suspicion among residents is carrying out legitimate work, according the police.
On Friday, a post on the Facebook page ‘Spotted: St Albans’ said that a man was knocking on people’s doors claiming he had been sent to fix front doors.
The post said: “Please be vigilant as he had no ID, no paperwork and when I phoned the council they told me to call the police as he doesn’t work for them.
“He was also knocking on other doors in our road saying the same thing. The police missed him by about 30 seconds unfortunately. He’s in a black [VW] Passat with foreign plates and I’m worried he is scoping for burglaries! Extremely worried for vulnerable people living by themselves.”
Suspicions were aroused once again yesterday when the same man was seen knocking on doors. However a spokesman for the police said: “Police were called at 8.29am on the morning of Monday, October 19 to Holyrood Crescent to reports someone had been knocking on doors in the street and they were concerned there may be suspicious circumstances.
You may also want to watch:
“Officers attended and following inquiries and checks it has been established that the man was working for a legitimate company carrying out work in the area.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development