Firefighters investigate St Albans ‘gas leak’

Fire engine

Fire engine - Credit: Archant

The smell of a suspected gas leak in St Albans turned out to be caused by lacquer.

Firefighters were called by the police at 1.40am today to reports of a gas leak at an empty property in Chestnut Drive.

When they arrived a gas supplier and a locksmith were already at the scene.

The firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, investigated the property and discovered that the smell was caused by a lacquer, which is a substance used to provide a protective coating to metal or wood.

The property was ventilated and firefighters left the scene by 2.31am.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus