Support for St Albans man at centre of WWI and WWII artefacts raid
- Credit: Archant
There has been a groundswell of support for the “devastated” St Albans man at the centre of a dramatic – and very public – police raid of his First and Second World War artefacts last week.
Herts Police evacuated four homes either side of a home in Windmill Avenue last Wednesday, after arresting a 48-year-old man on suspicion of alleged theft from heritage and protected sites.
He was also arrested on suspicion of possession of explosives, firearms and ammunition, and police bailed him until November 14, so far without charge.
Hand grenades, rifles and mortar shells were among munitions seized.
Experts from the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team later carried out controlled explosions of seized items at a Sandridge farm.
You may also want to watch:
However when friends and family saw the raid of Alan Tissington’s wartime memorabilia featuring on television and splashed across national newspapers, they quickly rallied and offered their support.
Alan has told the Herts Advertiser that following legal advice, he is unable to comment on the raid.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
However, he has granted this paper permission to reprint comments on his, now private, Facebook account.
On it, he has posted a “massive thank you to all who have sent kind words and well wishes”.
He added: “I am passionate about military history and militaria, which started at the age of seven.
“I am devastated that part of my life’s work has now been destroyed, bearing in mind that the vast majority was purchased at respected militaria fairs and [on] eBay.”
And despite the widespread media interest as a result of the raid Alan has thanked the Herts Police, “who have been absolutely amazing to myself and my family at this very stressful time”.
Scores of comments posted on his Facebook account reflect widespread sympathy for Alan, who is described as a “nice bloke” who did not deserve to go through such an ordeal.
One man said: “I know that it’s a great passion of yours and feel so sorry for you losing so many things that are irreplaceable.”
Several said they were “gutted”, shocked and deeply saddened his collection had been taken, and urged him to stay strong.
Another friend said: “Appalled at how someone can be treated, who holds such a passion for keeping our history alive 100 years on.
“Presumably the Imperial War Museum will be targeted next.”
First and Second World War artefacts and munitions have been seized in several places including Milton Keynes following the St Albans raid.