Sunday buses return to Redbourn
BUS users in Redbourn are now benefitting from a new Sunday service to St Albans, thanks to the efforts of a local councillor.
Maxine Crawley, district councillor for Redbourn and Conservative county councillor for St Albans Rural division, took action after the previous Sunday service to St Albans was stopped a number of months ago.
Cllr Crawley said: “My daughter used to use it and I had also been contacted by a number of residents on the issue, so I did some research to see if there was any way we could get it up and running again.”
Following four months of investigations and discussions between Herts County Council, St Albans District Council (SADC) and the bus companies, provisions were made for the service to be put into operation as of the end of January.
The Uno 620 bus now runs between Redbourn and St Albans four times a day on a Sunday, travelling through Harpenden, Batford, Marshalls Heath, Wheathampsted and Sandridge.
The service is subsidised by SADC but it was HCC who liased with the bus companies, making the project a real team effort.
Cllr Crawley continued: “I’ve worked very hard on this, as have the officers from Herts County Council and St Albans District Council who have been excellent.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 9 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 10 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
“I am pleased that we have been able to do something about this. At a time when there seems to be a lot of cuts, it’s good to get a positive.”