Sunbed fire at St Albans gym
A ST ALBANS shopping centre manager has praised the response of staff and the emergency services after a fire broke out in a city centre gym last night (Tuesday).
Fire crews from St Albans were called to Fitness First, in Christopher Place, after a blaze broke out in a sunbed room, shortly before 8.20pm.
The building had to be evacuated, as did the near-by Wagamama restaurant.
Fire crews used two sets of breathing apparatus, one jet and one hose reel to extinguish the flames.
The fire was all out by 8.40pm and the cause has been listed as accidental.
You may also want to watch:
Centre manager Catherine Morris said: “The evacuation procedure was carried out fantastically and everyone worked really well together as a team.”
The gym is open as normal today (Wednesday).
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 4 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images