Sunbed fire at St Albans gym
A ST ALBANS shopping centre manager has praised the response of staff and the emergency services after a fire broke out in a city centre gym last night (Tuesday).
Fire crews from St Albans were called to Fitness First, in Christopher Place, after a blaze broke out in a sunbed room, shortly before 8.20pm.
The building had to be evacuated, as did the near-by Wagamama restaurant.
Fire crews used two sets of breathing apparatus, one jet and one hose reel to extinguish the flames.
The fire was all out by 8.40pm and the cause has been listed as accidental.
You may also want to watch:
Centre manager Catherine Morris said: “The evacuation procedure was carried out fantastically and everyone worked really well together as a team.”
The gym is open as normal today (Wednesday).
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park