Sunbed fire at St Albans gym

PUBLISHED: 15:51 13 June 2012

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

A ST ALBANS shopping centre manager has praised the response of staff and the emergency services after a fire broke out in a city centre gym last night (Tuesday).

Fire crews from St Albans were called to Fitness First, in Christopher Place, after a blaze broke out in a sunbed room, shortly before 8.20pm.

The building had to be evacuated, as did the near-by Wagamama restaurant.

Fire crews used two sets of breathing apparatus, one jet and one hose reel to extinguish the flames.

The fire was all out by 8.40pm and the cause has been listed as accidental.

Centre manager Catherine Morris said: “The evacuation procedure was carried out fantastically and everyone worked really well together as a team.”

The gym is open as normal today (Wednesday).


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser