Stolen car leaves trail of damage
A STOLEN car caused extensive damage to an entrance to a woodland park during a police chase on Friday night. The car, believed to be a 4x4, was stolen from Langley Grove in St Albans shortly before midnight and police chased it to the Jersey Farm Woodlan
A STOLEN car caused extensive damage to an entrance to a woodland park during a police chase on Friday night.
The car, believed to be a 4x4, was stolen from Langley Grove in St Albans shortly before midnight and police chased it to the Jersey Farm Woodland Park where two men got out and ran off.
Although a police helicopter went up to try to find them in the woods, it was unsuccessful.
The incident left several trees at the entrance to the park opposite Wheatfields JMI School uprooted and others badly damaged.
Parish tree warden Tom Hewins said: "It was the last section of the wood to be planted and we were considering widening the pedestrian entrance there but in light of what has happened we may have to modify that."
He said that removing the car had damaged a cherry tree with a diameter of about 10 inches or more which would probably survive but the fleeing car had uprooted and cut in half a sweet chestnut.
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 3 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 4 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 5 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 6 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 7 Man breaks ankle during 'assault' in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 Refunds still due for cancelled Herts Fest event
- 10 13-year-old missing from Hemel Hempstead
He pointed out that as the car was stolen, the parish council had no redress from insurance companies.
Earlier this month a tree dedicated to the memory of Princess Diana at the other side of the woodland park in St Helier Road, St Albans, was damaged by vandals.