St Patrick’s Day Diamond wedding anniversary
Couple share secret to long marriage as they celebrate 60 years together on St Patrick’s Day.
A ST ALBANS couple who got married on St Patrick’s Day must have the luck of the Irish when it comes to having a long and successful marriage, as they celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary on Thursday, March 17.
Doreen and Arthur Worbey, who have received a celebratory message from the Queen for their 60th wedding anniversary, initially met at the tender age of just seven, when they sat together in class through their junior years at school.
They met again years later, when Arthur came home from army service in 1950, at a fair in St Albans. A year later the happy couple married on St Patrick’s Day at St Stephen’s Church.
However, because of rationing after World War II, while Doreen and Arthur had managed to save enough coupons to have a fruit cake, they didn’t have enough for the icing. There has been plenty of icing recently though as the happy couple have enjoyed celebrating their special occasion with family.
The couple, both aged 81, said the secret to having a long and happy marriage was, “enjoying each other’s company and hardly ever arguing.”
Doreen and Arthur have three children, Christine Jackson-Parr, Linda Canty and Joanne Steadman; four grandchildren; three great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 9 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 10 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
They look forward to many more happy years together.