St Leonard’s Church to launch new Friends group
- Credit: Archant
A village church that has been at the heart of its community for more than 900 years is to a launch a Friends group with a quiz and fish and chip supper.
The Friends of St Leonard’s Church, are holding the launch event in Sandridge Primary School on Woodcock Hill at 7pm this Saturday, February 27.
The aim is to harness the strong links that many local people have with the historic church.
Mike Fooks, a life-long Sandridge resident, who is chairing the new group, said: “St Leonard’s is a thriving church seeking to serve the local community, and it means a lot to so many people. Maybe they were married or christened there, or had a family funeral held in the church, or simply because they live locally and love their local church.
“But like any historic building, the church’s upkeep is costly. For example, the theft of lead from the roof last summer is going to cost St Leonard’s many thousands of pounds to replace and we’d like to help with the cost.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We hope many local people will come along and support St Leonard’s to ensure the church can continue to serve the parish for hundreds of years more.”
Tickets for the quiz and fish and chip supper, price £10, are available from Mike Fooks on 07767 000836 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 5 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 8 St Albans man's charity walk in memory of dad who died following heart attack
- 9 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to