St George's School, Harpenden, celebrates 'a smashing year'
OVER 90 per cent of pupils at St George s School in Harpenden achieved at least five A*-C grades, including maths and English, at GCSE. The total percentage of top grades reached an all time high at the Sun Lane school and means that there sixth form cour
OVER 90 per cent of pupils at St George's School in Harpenden achieved at least five A*-C grades, including maths and English, at GCSE.
The total percentage of top grades reached an all time high at the Sun Lane school and means that there sixth form courses will be full when the new term starts next week.
Exams officer Paul McGillivray said: "Average scores rose by 30 points and that means that only a handful will not qualify for sixth form entry which has already been raised in the past three years.
Head Norman Hoare described Year 11 as, "a smashing year" who deserved their success.
He added: "We have seen the benefits of a tight control over the number of GCSEs taken and a proper breadth of study. They are incredibly well rounded in their qualifications - besides the standard maths, English and sciences, they have a humanities, an aesthetic and practical study, a technology, ICT and RE.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 5 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school