St Albans writer’s novel back on the bookshelves
A BESTSELLER from the 1980s written by former Olympic coach Tom McNab is being self published by the author after his publisher refused to re-release it.
Tom, who has lived in St Albans for many years and is a supporter of charities like Grove House, topped The Times bestseller list with his novel Flanagan’s Run in 1982.
It was translated into 16 languages and hundreds of thousands of copies were sold worldwide.
But when Tom approached his publisher to release a new edition in 2009, he was turned down – despite the imminent release of a Miramax film adaptation with Quentin Tarantino and Harvey Weinstein on board as producers.
Tom felt that a whole new generation of readers would be interested in the novel so he approached the self-publishing house Authorhouse to re-publish it himself.
You may also want to watch:
Tom told Radio Four’s Open Book programme recently that his attitude was that if Flanagan’s Run was good enough to be read by hundreds of thousands of people all over the world in 1982, then there must be another group of people equally capable of enjoying it.
Flanagan’s Run tells the story of a 3,000-mile marathon across the United States in the Depression era. It follows 2,000 hopefuls as they begin the gruelling race from New York to Los Angeles – a race ultimately beset by danger and disaster as the American sports establishment conspire to sabotage the event.
- 1 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 2 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 3 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 4 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 5 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 6 St Albans City game at Dulwich Hamlet postponed due to positive test in Londoners' squad
- 7 Restaurant delivers food to households self-isolating due to Covid
- 8 St Albans named among Britain’s hottest property markets
- 9 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 10 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
Flanagan’s Run is available from Amazon UK, the publisher’s website www.authorhouse.co.uk and www.tommcnab.com from �10.50.