St Albans writer’s novel back on the bookshelves
A BESTSELLER from the 1980s written by former Olympic coach Tom McNab is being self published by the author after his publisher refused to re-release it.
Tom, who has lived in St Albans for many years and is a supporter of charities like Grove House, topped The Times bestseller list with his novel Flanagan’s Run in 1982.
It was translated into 16 languages and hundreds of thousands of copies were sold worldwide.
But when Tom approached his publisher to release a new edition in 2009, he was turned down – despite the imminent release of a Miramax film adaptation with Quentin Tarantino and Harvey Weinstein on board as producers.
Tom felt that a whole new generation of readers would be interested in the novel so he approached the self-publishing house Authorhouse to re-publish it himself.
You may also want to watch:
Tom told Radio Four’s Open Book programme recently that his attitude was that if Flanagan’s Run was good enough to be read by hundreds of thousands of people all over the world in 1982, then there must be another group of people equally capable of enjoying it.
Flanagan’s Run tells the story of a 3,000-mile marathon across the United States in the Depression era. It follows 2,000 hopefuls as they begin the gruelling race from New York to Los Angeles – a race ultimately beset by danger and disaster as the American sports establishment conspire to sabotage the event.
- 1 Battle of St Albans appears on new Wars of the Roses stamp
- 2 University student digs World War One trench in St Albans garden for film project close to his heart
- 3 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 4 Knife found in churchyard by litter pickers
- 5 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 6 Harpenden and Radlett rail passengers able to use barcode readers at stations
- 7 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 8 More records and impressive runs for St Albans Striders
- 9 Teen suicide prevention charity appoints first ambassador
Flanagan’s Run is available from Amazon UK, the publisher’s website www.authorhouse.co.uk and www.tommcnab.com from �10.50.