St Albans woman tackles chip pan fire

A CHIP pan fire was extinguished by a quick-thinking resident who remembered key safety advice.

Firefighters were called to the house on Watling Street on Monday night after the woman had extinguished the fire, to check it was out and that her property was safe.

The woman had recalled advice given out by the Fire Service in the past, and thrown two wet, well wrung-out tea towels over the flames and turned off the gas.

Firefighters from St Albans Fire Station attended the scene and administered oxygen to the woman who was wheezy from smoke inhalation. Paramedics also attended.

The official advice from the UK fire service changed in 2008 with people told to call 999 rather than tackle pan fires themselves.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus