St Albans woman tackles chip pan fire

PUBLISHED: 11:51 20 September 2011 | UPDATED: 11:51 20 September 2011

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

A CHIP pan fire was extinguished by a quick-thinking resident who remembered key safety advice.

Firefighters were called to the house on Watling Street on Monday night after the woman had extinguished the fire, to check it was out and that her property was safe.

The woman had recalled advice given out by the Fire Service in the past, and thrown two wet, well wrung-out tea towels over the flames and turned off the gas.

Firefighters from St Albans Fire Station attended the scene and administered oxygen to the woman who was wheezy from smoke inhalation. Paramedics also attended.

The official advice from the UK fire service changed in 2008 with people told to call 999 rather than tackle pan fires themselves.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser