St Albans woman’s Crete charity trek in memory of Grandfather
KATE Lindeman had no idea everyone would be so generous when she decided to walk Crete’s famed Samaria Gorge to raise money for the Motor Neurone Disease Association.
In the end Kate, who grew up in St Albans and now works as a musical theatre actress in Crete, made nearly �1,700 for the charity in memory of her grandfather who died from MND earlier this year.
And Kate said it was her grandfather who inspired the expedition.
She said: “My grandma, the first thing she said to me was you should walk Samaria Gorge. It was something my grandfather had never done but wanted to do.
“I was out here when he passed away and I thought it would be a really great way to raise some money for the MND association.”
You may also want to watch:
So with some friends Kate embarked on the 18km, day-long trek along the largely makeshift route with not a little trepidation.
But it was worth the effort. Kate said: “It was amazing. It was hard work, even being relatively fit from doing shows at night.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
And she added the cause, raising money for MND, was especially close to her heart, given how it had affected her active grandfather.
“It’s so brutal in terms of what it does to people. For someone like my granddad that was horrible.”
For more information about MND or to donate visit mndassociation.org