St Albans woman meets Countess of Wessex
- Credit: Archant
Brave St Albans girl Nicki Freeman is fast becoming a familiar face to one branch of the Royal Family.
Last year Nicki, a car crash victim whose family lives in Fleetville, St Albans, received her Duke of Edinburgh Award from Prince Edward and last week she met his wife, the Countess of Wessex ,and had an opportunity to speak to her about the benefits of speech and language therapy.
When she was just 18 in May 2010, Nicki was seriously injured when the Ford Fiesta she was driving to a school prom hit a tree. As well as breaking many bones, she suffered a head injury and was in a coma, going on to spend a lot of time undergoing neurological rehabilitation at Queen Elizabeth’s Foundation for disabled people.
She is currently studying at the National Star College, a specialist college for the disabled in Gloucestershire.
She was invited to meet the Sophie Wessex at the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (SLT) of which the Countess is a patron.
You may also want to watch:
Nicki spoke at length with the Countess about the importance of speech therapy in her recovery. Her father Peter said: “Nicki very much enjoyed meeting the Countess and talking about her experiences since her accident in May 2010 and about the many teams of therapists including SLTs who have helped her continuing recovery.”
Nicki also met the Sun’s royal photographer Arthur Edwards who joined the Countess in judging a photographic competition.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire