St Albans woman injured in chip pan fire
FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning after a woman was injured in a fire at her home.
The Cambridge Road resident had been frying some food at around 1am on Sunday morning when the pan caught alight.
In an attempt to put out the flames, the woman immersed the pan in water but it caused the oil to splash back over her neck and arm, causing burns which required hospital treatment.
Firefighters from St Albans were called to the scene and arrived to find the fire all out but the woman sitting in her neighbour’s car with burns. They administered first aid ahead of the arrival of paramedics.
A St Albans firefighter said that tacking chip pan fires are extremely dangerous, especially if people pour water over it. As water is denser than oil, it sinks to the bottom of the chip pan and instantly vaporises, causing it to expand and eject a fireball of oil out of the pan.
You may also want to watch:
He said that if a chip pan does catch alight, firefighters should be called, the power source isolated and the property evacuated.
- 1 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 2 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 3 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 4 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 5 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Raise a glass to the local brewers facing up to the challenges of lockdown
- 7 Lockdown life to be recorded in two museums projects
- 8 Property Spotlight: A stunning period conversion in central St Albans
- 9 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 10 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier