St Albans Wesminster Lodge service road opens
THE service road into the new Westminster Lodge leisure centre has been completed.
It runs directly from Holywell Hill following earlier concerns that the original design would have it crossing the car park and running very close to the Abbey Theatre.
Not only was the theatre concerned that the road layout could affect their future expansion plans but there were also fears about the safety of car park users.
The new design was worked up in conjunction with the county council highways team and has also resulted in financial saving which have been used to fund solar panels on the roof of the leisure centre.
The solar panels had earlier been removed to allow for the building of two extra lanes on the main swimming pool.
Cllr Mike Wakely, the council’s portfolio holder for sports, leisure and heritage commented: “It’s great to see the new service road completed.
“I am very glad we were able to find a way to ensure the Abbey Theatre’s future expansion possibilities are not curtailed. I’m also pleased to have found a way to save money on the road to put towards solar panels at the new Westminster Lodge.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 3 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 4 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 5 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 6 St Albans Pub Pride: Why we need to tackle monkeypox prejudice
- 7 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
Paul Davidson, chairman of the Abbey Theatre, added: “This short, direct route has always seemed the most sensible solution and it will save the theatre from considerable disruption and long-term constraints.”
The new Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre is due to open next month.