St Albans Wesminster Lodge service road opens
THE service road into the new Westminster Lodge leisure centre has been completed.
It runs directly from Holywell Hill following earlier concerns that the original design would have it crossing the car park and running very close to the Abbey Theatre.
Not only was the theatre concerned that the road layout could affect their future expansion plans but there were also fears about the safety of car park users.
The new design was worked up in conjunction with the county council highways team and has also resulted in financial saving which have been used to fund solar panels on the roof of the leisure centre.
The solar panels had earlier been removed to allow for the building of two extra lanes on the main swimming pool.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Mike Wakely, the council’s portfolio holder for sports, leisure and heritage commented: “It’s great to see the new service road completed.
“I am very glad we were able to find a way to ensure the Abbey Theatre’s future expansion possibilities are not curtailed. I’m also pleased to have found a way to save money on the road to put towards solar panels at the new Westminster Lodge.
- 1 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 2 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 3 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 4 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 5 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 6 Oaklands College principal leaving after 10 years
- 7 Increase in electric car charging points thanks to new partnership
- 8 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 9 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 10 Number of COVID patients in Herts hospitals falls slightly
Paul Davidson, chairman of the Abbey Theatre, added: “This short, direct route has always seemed the most sensible solution and it will save the theatre from considerable disruption and long-term constraints.”
The new Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre is due to open next month.