St Albans Wesminster Lodge service road opens
THE service road into the new Westminster Lodge leisure centre has been completed.
It runs directly from Holywell Hill following earlier concerns that the original design would have it crossing the car park and running very close to the Abbey Theatre.
Not only was the theatre concerned that the road layout could affect their future expansion plans but there were also fears about the safety of car park users.
The new design was worked up in conjunction with the county council highways team and has also resulted in financial saving which have been used to fund solar panels on the roof of the leisure centre.
The solar panels had earlier been removed to allow for the building of two extra lanes on the main swimming pool.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Mike Wakely, the council’s portfolio holder for sports, leisure and heritage commented: “It’s great to see the new service road completed.
“I am very glad we were able to find a way to ensure the Abbey Theatre’s future expansion possibilities are not curtailed. I’m also pleased to have found a way to save money on the road to put towards solar panels at the new Westminster Lodge.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 6 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 7 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 8 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 9 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
Paul Davidson, chairman of the Abbey Theatre, added: “This short, direct route has always seemed the most sensible solution and it will save the theatre from considerable disruption and long-term constraints.”
The new Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre is due to open next month.