St Albans Welsh society St David's Day delight
A Welsh society in St Albans celebrated St David s Day in style last week with a slap-up dinner and traditional music. The St Albans Welsh Society held its 30th anniversary St David s Day dinner at The Thistle Hotel in St Albans, attracting nearly 70 mem
A Welsh society in St Albans celebrated St David's Day in style last week with a slap-up dinner and traditional music.
The St Albans Welsh Society held its 30th anniversary St David's Day dinner at The Thistle Hotel in St Albans, attracting nearly 70 members of St Albans's Welsh community.
After enjoying the dinner, guests were entertained by actor Philip Madoc of The Last of the Mohicans fame, who read from the works of Dylan Thomas before handing centre stage over to folk singer John Breeze.
Geraint John, who has been a member of the society ever since it was first set up, said that the St Albans Welsh Society, or Cymdeithas Gymraeg St Albans to give it its Welsh name, held an anniversary dinner every year.
You may also want to watch:
He added: "It was an exceptional evening and I think that our folk singer went down particularly well. We also had one of our guests Alun Hopkins giving a humorous narrative about the Welsh flag which made us all laugh.
- 1 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 2 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 3 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Property Spotlight: A stunning period conversion in central St Albans
- 5 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 6 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 7 West Herts midwives to take to the skies in NHS charity skydive
- 8 Footballers rally round with food drive amid pandemic
- 9 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 10 Raise a glass to the local brewers facing up to the challenges of lockdown