St Albans Welsh society St David's Day delight
A Welsh society in St Albans celebrated St David s Day in style last week with a slap-up dinner and traditional music. The St Albans Welsh Society held its 30th anniversary St David s Day dinner at The Thistle Hotel in St Albans, attracting nearly 70 mem
A Welsh society in St Albans celebrated St David's Day in style last week with a slap-up dinner and traditional music.
The St Albans Welsh Society held its 30th anniversary St David's Day dinner at The Thistle Hotel in St Albans, attracting nearly 70 members of St Albans's Welsh community.
After enjoying the dinner, guests were entertained by actor Philip Madoc of The Last of the Mohicans fame, who read from the works of Dylan Thomas before handing centre stage over to folk singer John Breeze.
Geraint John, who has been a member of the society ever since it was first set up, said that the St Albans Welsh Society, or Cymdeithas Gymraeg St Albans to give it its Welsh name, held an anniversary dinner every year.
You may also want to watch:
He added: "It was an exceptional evening and I think that our folk singer went down particularly well. We also had one of our guests Alun Hopkins giving a humorous narrative about the Welsh flag which made us all laugh.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 8 At last! St Albans is back in business as shops re-open
- 9 Colney Heath in line for promotion after FA decide to restructure non-league pyramid
- 10 Major redevelopment underway at St Albans office building